Earlier this week, I attended the announcement of the Stella Prize longlist on behalf of Springfield, one of Stella’s sponsors. Wonderful night for the 10th Stella Prize, a prize awarded annually to Australian women and non-binary writers – the descriptions of each of the 12 longlisted books made me want to read them all.
The five judges – Melissa Lucashenko, Cate Kennedy, Sisonke Mismang, Declan Fry and Oliver Reeson – discussed the books, an impressive list which included seven debut authors and five First Nations writers. The longlist consisted of fiction, non-fiction, poetry, short stories and a graphic novel – surely something for everyone!
The 2022 Stella longlist:
- Coming of age in the war on terror by Randa Abdel-Fattah – non-fiction
- Take care by Eunice Andrada – poetry
- Dropbear by Evelyn Araluen – poetry
- She is haunted by Paige Clark – short stories
- No document by Anwen Crawford – non-fiction
- Bodies of light by Jennifer Down – novel
- Bila Yarrudhanggalangdhuray by Anita Heiss – novel
- Stone fruit by Lee Lai – graphic novel
- Permafrost by SJ Norman – short fiction
- Homecoming by Elfie Shiosaki – poetry and prose
- The open by Lucy Van – poetry
- Another day in the colony by Chelsea Watego – non-fiction
I hope you find something from this wonderful list to read over the next few months!