Yesterday was bliss – I had a whole six hours to myself. And it’s going to happen again and again and again for the rest of the term! And even though there will be editing work and domestic chores in there, I’ll have time for writing.
After eight weeks of school holidays, I’m itching to start again with my writing. I wrote some daily writing exercises and submitted one short story into a competition over the holidays, but I didn’t have the head space or the time (especially with moving house) to do much writing.
But now I have space, time and quiet.
So February is for finishing the latest draft of my first children’s book, currently called ‘If I dare’. I’m 90% there – I need to pull everything together, weave in all the loose threads, add a bit of sparkle to it. I spent yesterday reading it and making notes of any weaknesses – very analytical, very left brain. Now I’m trying to use the right side of my brain and go with the flow, loosen up, daydream, walk, mindmap, brainstorm, ask lots of questions, write on a million post-it notes so I can come up with some ideas to sort out these weak points once and for all!
I’m also planning to submit a short story to another competition, plus I’ll continue working on the online writing course my lovely husband gave me as a Christmas present. (Yes, I know – some girls like jewellery and handbags for Christmas – I really like those types of presents too, but I love writing courses even more!)
This week I received a lovely surprise – a blog award from Kelly at Fred and Pepper’s Place blog! I really enjoyed Kelly’s last post about following her word of the year. The details of the award are below, and even though I’m not really sure of the protocol, I’m going to jump in and nominate some fabulous blogs to pass the award on.
Thank the person that nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- List the rules.
- Display the award on your post of the award.
- List seven facts about yourself.
- Nominate 15 bloggers for this award and comment on one of their posts to let them know you have nominated them.
- I have written stories since I was six.
- I used to collect sharpeners when I was a kid – had over 100 of them!
- I used to drink coffee but now love a chai latte.
- I (try) to meditate every morning.
- I was an after-school-care coordinator for five years while I was at uni.
- I am quite particular about the state of my pantry!
- I first spotted my husband at a church dance when I was 16 and asked my friend, ‘Who is that guy?’
Some lovely blogs to look at:
Carolyn @ Iris and Edie
Emily @ Squiggle and Swirl
Annette @ I give you the verbs
Deanna @ Miss bits and pieces
I met these creative girls though an online course, and have now met them a couple of times for coffee. Enjoy their creative blogs!